Saturday, September 28, 2013

Two Weeks Old

Two weeks old!



Sadie’s second week was a lot rougher on Mommy.  Daddy had to go back to work, so I was on my own each day in the NICU.  Sadie made so much progress in her first week that she was moved from an iso to a crib and in to a larger room (the nurses in the big room have three babies each, instead of two like the other room).  I felt so overwhelmed at first because we were getting so much less attention.  Sadie is such a good baby and hardly ever cries.  Plus her only real issue (thank you Jesus!) is she is not quite mature enough to handle full feedings.  
Moving to a room with a view :)
I had a total breakdown one day when I was trying to breastfeed her, and no one checked on us for almost an hour.  I felt a little ignored and I was discouraged by a lack of progress.  All of the nurses felt so bad and assured me there was a plan in place and she was still making great progress.  

They told me in order for her to be discharged, she needed to meet three requirements:  she needed to maintain stability, she needed to continue to gain weight and she needed to finish all her feedings without assistance for 24 straight hours.  She has always shown great stability, which we are so thankful for.  She also has gained weight consistently since she was born (she is well over five pounds now!).  However, she just doesn’t have that much interest or endurance to consistently finish her feedings. 
She found a lot of humor in her feeding issues :)

Finally on Thursday the 12th she finished her first full bottle at her 5pm feeding.  So exciting! Then on Saturday the 14th she finished her bottle three straight feedings in a row.  Today on her two-week birthday, the doctors were ready to discharge her.  However, they learned that the nurses were giving her the bottle.  Every time we try and give her the bottle she gets way too comfy and falls asleep.  Our nurse, Joanne, has decided to dedicate the day to teaching me how to feed her.  We are so close! Hopefully we are home soon!

We celebrated Daddy's birthday at Farrells!

We bought her some preemie clothes (on the right) and my mom compared them to my old doll clothes (on the left)!

No comments:

Post a Comment